What I’ve been up to these days:
August 2017– A private party had the Tom Hagerty Band opening for the Steeldrivers (Grammy Award winners!). The Steeldrivers then invited us up to play Heaven Sent with them. That was truly a great time!
July 2017 – Duo with singer/songwriter Sean Staples at Passim’s, opening for Tim Gearan. Sean’s song “Joy Comes Back” was recorded by Texas gospel singer Ruthie Foster, with Derek Trucks on guitar.
– Played a show with Say Darling (Grammy nominee Celia Woodsmith & Chris Hersh). Celia is one of the most dynamic singers I’ve ever heard; I was blown away!
June 2017 – Susan Cattaneo CD release party with legendary Bill Kirchen, The Titan Of The Telecaster for two nights. Bill opened the show and then we joined him for two tunes, then he joined us for three songs. Bill’s an American treasure!
May 2017 – Susan Cattaneo & Her All-Star Band at Katrina’s in Gloucester. A rare North Shore appearance, May 24, 7-10 PM, no cover! webcal://www.facebook.com/ical/u.php?uid=1251134082&key=AQB9ZVSo8gsFDyua
– In the studio recording pedal steel for Steve Amazeen
-Nashville Skyline tribute! Chris Hersch & The Moonraiders join with Greg Klyma to play Bob Dylan’s classic album in its entirety on Sun May 14, 7:00 PM at Thunder Road, $5.00 cover – MB on pedal steel & dobro
April 2017 – Susan Cattaneo and an all star band present The Glow by Bonnie Raitt – TRIBUTE TUESDAY at The Lizard Lounge in Cambridge. 9:00 show – Susan pays tribute to her favorite album, accompanied by guest singers & her cooking band, with MB on guitar, lap steel, pedal steel, & dobro For tickets
March 2017 – Chris Hersh & The Moonraiders with the Lonesome Draw at the Burren Backroom on Sat March 11
– NETN Presents: A Tribute to Hank Williams, March 16 at Loretta’s Last Call
Jan 2017 – Happy New Year! Upcoming house concert Jan 28 with Kelly Riley & Friends http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2756007
– Tribute To Willie Nelson at Loretta’s Last Call with local and Nashville artists
– The new year started off with a wild bluegrass-ish show with Rick Fire & The Ricktones at the Cantab in Cambridge, playing killer pieces by Strength In Numbers and Ricky Mier’s own Celtic fusion tunes. Also on the gig were monster players Thorleifer Gaukur Davidsson, Rob Flax, JD Williams, & Nate Sabat.
Dec 2016 – Chris Hersch & The Moonraiders EP Release with Erin Harpe & The Delta Swingers at Thunder Road 12/1/ http://thunderroadclub.com/event/erin-harpe-delta-swingers-delta-country-blues/
Nov 2016 – I’ll be teaching a Music Theory For Bluegrass Musicians workshop for the Boston Bluegrass Union’s Jam’n Weekend event at Colonial Inn in Concord, as well as hosting an open jam at the cottage at the Inn. For more info, go to bbu.org
– In the studio with True Life Bluegrass, tracking dobro and vocals with Laura Orshaw on fiddle, with Tony Watt, Steve Watt; produced by Michael Reese of Chasing Blue.
– Girls Guns & Glory CD Love & Protest released 11/4; I’m sharing pedal steel duties with the legendary Buddy Cage!
Oct 2016 – In the studio with Susan Cattaneo, recording upcoming CD, to be called The Heart And The Hammer. MB played lap steel, pedal steel, & dobro on tracks produced by Dave Westner. Susan plays host to an amazing cast of players on this CD.
Sept 2016 – Chris Hersch & The Moonraiders just recorded an EP & promo video of 6 songs at Dimension Sound Studio in Jamaica Plain. MB played pedal steel, lap steel, & added some vocals.
– Beth DeSombre just released her CD I Was Here, on which MB played dobro. The CD was produced by Sean Staples and also featured Vance Gilbert & Laura Cortese.
Aug 2016 – MB: I just started using using the Eminence Double T-12 speaker for pedal steel. It’s a great sounding speaker with pronounced upper-mids, without being harsh. It’s a great speaker!
– Girls, Guns, & Glory just finished recording their new CD, on which MB played pedal steel on the song, “Man Wasn’t Made”. The song also featured a hot solo by the great Duke Levine. Recording was at Mad Oak Studio, produced by Drew Townson.
July 2016 – Susan Cattaneo Band recorded video for The Extended Play Sessions in Norwood, MA. MB played pedal steel & lap steel.
June 2016 – Show “For The Sake Of The Song: A Tribute To Merle Haggard” featured a number of Boston’s great singers: Patrick Coman, Stan Martin, Susan Cattaneo, Greg Klyma, Chris Hersch, Julie Rhodes. MB played pedal steel & lap steel.
May 2016 – WUMB Members’ Concert: Susan Cattaneo Band at the Spire Center For The Performing Arts, with guests Boxcar Lilies & Jay Psaro. MB played steel (pedal & lap). Amazing sounding room!
March 2016 – MB – I started using the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ for my dobro acoustic/amplified rig. It has a lot of great features: tuner, boost for solos, EQ & feedback control. I like that I can go direct to PA with a separate signal to the Fishman Loudbox amp.
– Kelly Riley House Concert in Lexington, MA, with Paul Dilley, Ron Wilhelmson, Gay Shelton, Heather Rice-Fahey, Liz, Cook, John Bumstead. MB played dobro, guitar, & mandolin.
– In the studio for a couple of recording sessions this month:
Jim Russell-Smith at Mixed Emotions Studio. MB played guitar, mandolin, dobro, & banjo
Beth DeSombre session, produced by Sean Staples; MB played dobro on 2 songs
Dec 2015 – Susan Cattaneo played a December residency at the Lizard Lounge; the hot band consisted of Jamie Walker, Jimmy Ryan, Rene Dupuis, Richard Gates, Andrew Jones, & MB. Guest artists included Tracy Grammer, Jim Henry, Greg Klyma, Art Schatz, Jenna Lotti, Chris Facey, Vance Gilbert, Amy Fairchild, Danielle Miraglia, Bob Moon, Julie Dougherty, Laura Brereton, Julie Rama Winslow, Ward Hayden, Ansel Barnum, & Catherine David.